Escape the Heat! Volunteer at Kartchner Caverns State Park | News
Kartchner Caverns is offering volunteer opportunities this summer. The state park is 15 to 20 degrees cooler than Phoenix and 5 to 10 degrees cooler than Tucson, due to its 4,600 foot elevation. For those looking to stay ‘cool' this summer, this might just do the trick.
Volunteers are a vital and integral part of the programs at Kartchner Caverns State Park. Volunteering at the park is a unique experience because of the variety of service positions available and the opportunity to connect with the visitor in a rarely seen environment. Kartchner Caverns is a magnificent cave with many different types of formations. Whether in the cave or campground, hummingbird garden or Discovery Center, there are many ways to help the visitors enjoy their experiences while on the park.
Some of the available positions include:
- Interpretive Services (Lead cave guides, Trail cave guides)
- Visitor Services (Gatehouse, Front Desk, Discovery Center, Cave Portal)
- Campground Host Maintenance Services (Miscellaneous Maintenance, Tram Driver, Trail & Garden Maintenance)
For more information about volunteer positions at Kartchner Caverns State Park contact the Volunteer Coordinator (520) 586-4121. For information about all of Arizona State Parks' volunteer opportunities, visit www.AZStateParks.com/volunteer.
A few facts about Kartchner Caverns State Park, its near Benson, is a wet, "live" cave with stunning limestone in Southeastern Arizona, and on the guided cave tours, visitors view dynamic structures such as stalactites and giant stalagmites, sometimes meeting to form a massive column. There are also many hiking trails, a Visitor Center, gift shop and café.
For information about all 27 Arizona State Parks, the Trails and Off-Highway Vehicle Programs and State Historic Preservation Office call (602) 542-4174 (outside of the Phoenix metro area call toll-free (800) 285-3703), visit the website and online camping reservations at www.AZStateParks.com.
Upcoming Events near South East Tucson
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Share your ideas about Pima County’s future at a community meeting
- Weather prompts 2 schools on SW side to release students early
- Police: Woman's body found near Cholla High School
- Sheriff: Man killed by deputy was on military leave for father's funeral
- Construction of Santa Cruz River flood control, park project begins