OFA-AZ hosting event demanding action from Congress on gun violence | Events
On Thursday, September 5, Organizing for Action – Arizona(OFA-AZ) volunteers are hosting a gun violence prevention day of action event at Apache Park, to remember the lives lost to gun violence in the U.S. Speakers will include coalition partners and the mother of Gabby Giffords, Gloria Giffords.
OFA-AZ supporters are not stopping the fight to protect children and the community. According to an OFA-AZ news release 90 percent of America supports the passage of legislation requiring a background check for all gun sales. With this event OFA-AZ is making sure their voices are heard.
A recent bill, written by Senators Joe Manchin and Pat Toomey, a Democrat and a Republican, (each hold ‘A’ ratings from the NRA) to keep guns out of the hands of criminals, was voted against in the Senate.
According to OFA-AZ this event is geared toward reminding gun violence prevention supporters that people have not forgotten about Tucson, Sandy Hook or Aurora, and they will not let their leaders in Washington forget that they need to act to make the communities safer.
The following are scheduled to speak tomorrow:
- Gloria Giffords, mother of Representative Gabby Giffords
- Carol Gaxiola, lost daughter to gun violence
- Pat Maisch, Tucson Shooting Survivor
- John Keepers, OFA volunteer
- OFA-AZ volunteers and supporters from the Phoenix area
WHEN: September 5, starting at 1:30 p.m.
WHERE: Apache Park, (W. 6th St. Benson, AZ 85602) next to city hall
Upcoming Events near South East Tucson
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Share your ideas about Pima County’s future at a community meeting
- Weather prompts 2 schools on SW side to release students early
- Police: Woman's body found near Cholla High School
- Sheriff: Man killed by deputy was on military leave for father's funeral
- Construction of Santa Cruz River flood control, park project begins